Assistant Professor, Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah Institute of Health Sciences
Yusrita graduated as a nurse in 2002. In 2003 she graduated from Cardiff University with a Bachelor in Adult Nursing. In 2006 Yusrita completed her studies at the University of Liverpool in MSc in Healthcare Ethics and worked as an Education Officer before starting her PhD. Yusrita's PhD thesis explored the understanding of the ethical dimension in nursing practice.
Yusrita has been convening ethics-related modules such as HN-5014 Ethics and Law in Nursing Practice, HM-5104 Medical Ethics and Legal Issues and HN-2206 / HW-2206 Law and Ethics for Health Professionals. She has acted as Cohort Coordinator for Diploma and Bachelor nursing programmes and recently act as Postgraduate Coordinator for the Masters of Nursing by Coursework (2020 - 2022).
Research interests of Yusrita revolve around the ethical practice and the nurses ' professional conduct. She is especially interested in nurses' professional and personal values and how these values influence nursing practice. Her current interest in research focuses on different facets of the ethical element of nursing practice through her ongoing supervision of nursing ethics projects with undergraduate final year students. Yusrita also has an interest in the teaching of nursing ethics, particularly when she first introduced the teaching of nursing ethics using Class Debate in 2016.
Yusrita currently oversees three Master Projects (1 completed in 2018), and a total of 21 Undergraduate Research projects (15 completed). Yusrita has been a member of the IHS Research Ethics Committee (IHSREC) since 2016 and currently Chairperson the Committee (2019-2021). Additionally, she is a member of the International Ethics Education Association. As part of her professional responsibilities, Yusrita is also a reviewer for several journals such as Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, Journal of Research in Nursing, SAGE open, Nursing Ethics, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Nursing Open and International Journal of Care Scholars.
In 2019 she was awarded Human Rights and Nursing Awards from the Observatory of International Care Ethics (ICE), University of Surrey, UK. See the Nursing Ethics 2019 website for more information https:/journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0969733019846758
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Edinburgh
Thesis: Bruneian nurses' perceptions of ethical dimensions in nursing practice
Master of Science in Healthcare Ethics, University of Liverpool
Thesis: Infected healthcare workers: Should patients be informed?
History of Nursing
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
1. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Nurses' readiness to engage patients in healthcare. International Journal of Care Scholars, 4(1): 63-64
2. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Responding to difficult nurse-patient encounters. International Journal of Care Scholars, 4(1): 61-62
3. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Nursing ethics education in Brunei Darussalam - Where are we today? Belitung Nursing Journal. https://doi.org/10.33/bnj.1265
4. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Be Honest: Individuals’ Moral Responsibility within the COVID-19 Context. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 27(6): 144-147
5. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Disclosure of mental health status to employers in a healthcare context. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 28(2): 157-160
1. Zolkefli Y (2017) Evaluating the concept of choice in health care. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 24 (6), 75-79
2. Yusrita Zolkefli (2018) The ethics of truth-telling in health-care settings. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences,25 (3), 135-139
3. Yusrita Zolkefli (2018) Negotiated ethical responsibility: Bruneian nurses’ ethical concerns in nursing practice. Nursing Ethics, 26(7-8): 1992-2005
Grant type: FIC
Grant Number: UBD/RSCH/1.6/FICBF(b)/2021/012
Project Title: Teaching ethics in nursing education: a cross-national qualitative study
Investigators (PI/Co-PI): Dr Yusrita Zolkefli (Brunei), Dr Siti Hanna Muharram (Brunei), Dr Ashikin Atan (Malaysia), Professor Dr Nursalam (Indonesia) & Dr Nusara Prasertsri (Thailand)
Start Date: 1/03/2021
End Date: 28/02/2023