Assistant Professor, Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah Institute of Health Sciences
Yusrita obtained a Bachelor of Adult Nursing from Cardiff University in 2006 and completed her MSc in Healthcare Ethics from the University of Liverpool in 2007. Her doctoral thesis from the University of Edinburgh centred on the ethical dimension of nursing practice.
Yusrita has taught HN-5104 Ethics and Law in Nursing Practice, HM-5104 Medical Ethics and Legal Issues, and HN/HW-2218 Ethics and Law in Health Care, among other ethics-related courses. She has served as the Cohort Coordinator for diploma and bachelor's degree nursing programmes, as well as the Postgraduate Coordinator for the Masters of Nursing by Coursework programme (2020 - 2022).
Yusrita's research interests are in ethical practice and the professional behaviour of nurses. She is also passionate about ethics education, having pioneered the use of Structured Class Debate to teach nursing ethics in 2016. She currently oversees three Master's Projects (one of which was completed in 2018) and 21 Undergraduate Research Projects (18 completed). She was Chairperson (2019-2021) and Co-Chairperson of the Faculty Research Ethics Committee (2016-2019). She is a member of the International Ethics Education Association as well. Yusrita presently serves on the Editorial Board of the Malaysian Journal of Nursing as part of her professional obligations. She also serves as a reviewer of several journals, including the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, Journal of Research in Nursing, Nursing Ethics, Journal of Nursing Management, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Nursing Open, and the International Journal of Care Scholars.
The Observatory of International Care Ethics (ICE), University of Surrey, UK, presented her with the Human Rights and Nursing Awards in 2019. For further information, see the Nursing Ethics 2019 website at https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0969733019846758.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Edinburgh
Thesis: Bruneian nurses' perceptions of ethical dimensions in nursing practice
Master of Science in Healthcare Ethics, University of Liverpool
Thesis: Infected healthcare workers: Should patients be informed?
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
1. Yusrita Zolkefli (2022) The ethics of supporting bereaved parents following traffic crash fatalities. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences. 29(1):157-160
2. Yusrita Zolkefli (2022) Healthcare professionals’ ethical responsibility in COVID-19 vaccination decision-making. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 29(2):157–163
3. Yusrita Zolkefli (2022) Greater accountability in nursing handover. Belitung Nursing Journal, 8(1); 84-85. https://doi.org/10.33546/bnj.1966
4. Yusrita Zolkefli (2022) Nursing students' views toward fostering hope in healthcare practice. International Journal of Nursing Education, 14(1): 162-171
5. Yusrita Zolkefli (2022) Keeping women informed following pregnancy termination for fetal abnormality. Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research. Forthcoming 2022
1.Yusrita Zolkefli (2017) Evaluating the concept of choice in health care. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 24 (6), 75-79
2. Yusrita Zolkefli (2018) The ethics of truth-telling in health-care settings. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences,25 (3), 135-139
3. Yusrita Zolkefli (2018) Negotiated ethical responsibility: Bruneian nurses’ ethical concerns in nursing practice. Nursing Ethics, 26(7-8): 1992-2005
4. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Be honest: Individuals’ moral responsibility within the COVID-19 context. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 27(6): 144-147
5. Yusrita Zolkefli (2021) Nursing ethics education in Brunei Darussalam – Where are we today? Belitung Nursing Journal, 7(1): 55-56
Grant type: FIC
Grant Number: UBD/RSCH/1.6/FICBF(b)/2021/012
Project Title: Teaching ethics in nursing education: a cross-national qualitative study
Investigators (PI/Co-PI): Dr Yusrita Zolkefli (Brunei), Dr Siti Hanna Muharram (Brunei), Dr Ashikin Atan (Malaysia) & Professor Dr Nursalam (Indonesia)
Start Date: 1/03/2021
End Date: 28/02/2023