Naeem Shafqat qualified with a BPharm degree from the University of Karachi, Pakistan in 1996. After finishing BPharm, he joined Park-e-Davis Pharmaceuticals, Pakistan as a Tablet Production Officer. In 1998, to continue his passion for a medical research he went on for a PhD in Medical Biochemistry at the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Soon after completing his PhD, he joined the University of Oxford (2004-2011) as a post-doctoral fellow, to study the structure-function properties of human metabolic enzymes associated with the pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus and inflammation. At Oxford Naeem got a unique opportunity to train as an expert in modern state-of-art high-throughput protein expression-purification, crystallization and structure biology techniques. In 2011, being an expert in protein chemistry/structure biology, he joined the University of Birmingham where he studied the structure-function properties of 5alpha-Reductase isozymes and Cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase involved in the pathogenesis of Prostate Cancer and Disorders of Sex Development.
Structure-function analysis of human Metabolic enzymes
1. Bhatia C, Oerum S, Bray J, Kavanagh KL, Shafqat N, Yue W, Oppermann U (2015). Towards a systematic analysis of human short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases (SDR): Ligand identifica-tion and structure-activity relationships. Chem Biol Interact. 5; 234:114-25.
2. Mueller JW, Shafqat N (2013). Adenosin-5'-phosphosulfate (APS) - a multifaceted modulator of bifunctional PAPS synthases and related enzymes. FEBS J. 280(13):3050-7.
3. Shafqat N, Muniz JR, Pilka ES, Paragrigoriou E, von Delft F, Oppermann U, Yue WW (2013). Insight into S-adenosyl-L-methionine biosynthesis from crystal structures of human methionine adenosyltransferase catalytic and regulatory subunits. Biochem J. 452(1):27-36.
4. Shafqat N, Kavanagh KL, Sass JO, Christensen E, Fukao T, Lee WH, Oppermann U, Yue WW (2013). A structural mapping of mutations causing succinyl-CoA:3-ketoacid CoA transferase (SCOT) deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis. 36(6):983-7.
5. Chaikuad A*, Shafqat N*, Al-Mokhtar R, Cameron G, Clarke AR, Brady L, Oppermann U, Frayne J, Yue WW (2011). Structure and kinetic characterization of human sperm-specific glyceraldehydes-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, GAPDS (*equal contribution). Biochem J. 435(2):401-9.
Grant type: , Grant Number: , Project Title: , Investigators (PI/Co-PI): , Funding Details: , Start Date: 31/03/2010, End Date: 31/03/2016
-Please refer to publication list on google scholar.
-Crystallize and determined protein 3D X-ray structures of over 40 human metabolic enzymes
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Oxford
University of Birmingham
The 3D X-ray protein structures determined in the presence of novel substrate and inhibitors will provide a platform for the discovery of future drug, beneficial for the treatment of hormonal dependent metabolic disorders.