Lecturer, Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education
Is a researcher in the field of primary science education, now working on to improve the current primary science education in Brunei and also expand my research interests in the role of language, semiotics and Islamic values in science education. I am also interested in early science and professional education of teachers. My research areas also include promoting "Dialogic Teaching in Bruneian Science Classrooms".
Current Research Supervision
PhD Students' Ongoing Research Projects
1. Currently as the main supervisor to a Ph.D. student entitled "Science Show to Promote Students' Understanding and Engagement in Science"
2. Co-supervisor to a Ph.D. student entitled "Disruptive Behaviour Among Young Adolescents: Exploring The Perceptions, Beliefs, and Practices of Secondary School Teachers in Brunei Darussalam"
Current Masters Research Projects' Supervision
1. Dialogic Teaching in Promoting Students' Understanding of Science
2. The Use of Think-Pair Strategy in Promoting Students' Understanding of 'Animals with Backbones' in Year 5 Brunei Science Classrooms
3. The use of Traditional Game-Based Learning in Promoting Students' Understanding of Science in Primary Classrooms
Completed Masters Research Students' Projects:
1. Using Concept Map to Improve the Conceptual Understanding of Electricity Amongst Year 3 Pupils (2018)
2. Investigating The Use of Storytelling in Teaching Sense Organs on Year 1 Science Classroom in Brunei (2017)
3. The Teaching and Learning of Science Through Integration of Inquiry-Based Learning on a Year 5 Topic of Animals with Backbones (2017)
4. Teaching 'Classifying Materials' in a Year 4 Science Classroom using the 7E Inquiry Approach (2017)
5. Investigating The Use of Comics as a Resource for Teaching Plant Systems in a Year 5 Science Classroom (2017)
6. Investigating The Use of Drawings in Teaching and Learning "Animals with Backbones" in a Year 5 Science Class (2017)
7. A Case Study o Teacher-Student Interactions in the Teaching "Life Cycle" in Year 5 Science Classroom (2015)
8. Formative Feedback by Primary Science Teachers in Beacon Schools in Brunei Darussalam (2015)
9. Teaching and Learning Early Science in Preschool through KWL Chart (2015)
10. The Use of Patterning in Preschool Classroom (2015).
PhD in Education, University of Queensland, Australia (2014)
MA in Science Education, University of Leeds, UK (2006)
BA (Hons.) Primary Education, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei Darussalam (2004)
Language in Science Education
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Khoo, Jia Sian, Masitah Shahrill, Norashikin Yusof, Georgina Chua Ling Ling and Roslinawati Roslan (2016) GRAPHIC ORGANIZER IN ACTION: SOLVING SECONDARY MATHEMATICS WORD PROBLEMS. Journal on Mathematics Education, vol.7, no.2, Universitas Sriwijaya, Palembang.
Damit, Amirudin, Shahrill, Masitah and Roslan, Roslinawati (November, 2015) Investigating the Effectiveness of an Assessment Task through Collaboration in a Bruneian Classroom. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 6(6 S1):214-223.
Grant type: URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2RG/1(316), Project Title: Language and Spirituality Awareness of Bruneian Primary Science Teachers , Investigators (PI), Funding Details: BND$8691, Start Date: 01/01/2015, End Date: 30/12/2016
Currently a member of PREVA, PISA 2015.
Have worked on a research collaboration with an academic from School of Education, University of Queensland Australia.
- Volunteer Facilitator for Yayasan PIP Programme 2015.
- Carried out CPD in Early Science for Private School Teachers 2015.
- Reviewer for Pakistan Journal of Educational Research and Evaluation (PJERE) since July 2015.
Deputy of Publicity, SHBIE and Editor of SHBIE Gazette
Coordinator of SPARC, SHBIE, UBD.