Assistant Professor, Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah Institute of Health Sciences
Rajan Rajabalaya, Ph.D. is Assistant Professor at the Institute of Health Sciences, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei. Prior to this he was Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Technology in different institutes in Malaysia (International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) and India. Dr Rajabalaya obtained his B. Pharm from The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India in 1998, M. Pharm and PhD from the Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India in 2001 and 2009, respectively. Dr Rajabalayaâ€™s research interests in the drug formulation and delivery system. He has published 24 peer-reviewed scientific papers in his chosen scientific area and presented 18 conference abstracts at international conferences. He is the co-editor of 1 book in which he wrote 20 book chapters.
Dr. Rajabalaya was awarded a Senior Research Fellowship by the Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India (2006-2008) and qualified in a national level competitive examination of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE-98) specializing in Pharmaceutical Sciences where he secured the 65.45 percentile. In 1999 he was awarded the Junior Research Fellowship by the University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), New Delhi, India. Dr. Rajabalaya is an effective teacher who strives to instill learningâ€™s into his students. He is knowledgeable in the use of modern teaching and learning techniques that engages students in their own learning.
B.Pharm., M.Pharm., Ph.D
Transdermal drug delivery system
Ethosomes, Liposomes, Proniosomes, Liquid Crystal drug delivery systems
Nanoparticulate Delivery System and microencapsulation
Natural product development
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
1. Sheba R David, Nurul Akmar Binti Anwar, Koh Rhun Yian, Sanjoy Kumar Das, Rajan Rajabalaya. Development and Evaluation of Curcumin Liquid Crystal Systems for Cervical Cancer. Sci. Pharm. 2020, 88(1), 15.
2. Han Yeng Kwong, Dk Hajah Norazieda Binti Pg Hj Mohammad Yassin, Rajan Rajabalaya Sheba R David. Cross-Sectional Study on Effect of Medication Adherence in Stroke Patients. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, 2020.
3. Sheba R David, Syahira Abdul Refai, Koh Rhun Yian, Sanjoy Kumar Das, Rajan Rajabalaya. Development and Evaluation of Liquid Crystal Systems of Combination of 5-Fluorouracil and Curcumin for Cervical Cancer Cell Line. Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmacognosy Research, 2019.
4. Sheba R David, Nurafiqah Abd Malek, Abdul Hanif Mahadi, Srikumar Chakravarthi, Rajan Rajabalaya. Development of Controlled Release Silicone Adhesive Based Mupirocin Patch Demonstrates Anti-Bacterial Activity on Live Rat Skin Against Staphylococcus Aureus. Drug Design, Development and Therapy, 2018:12; 481- 494.
5. Sanjoy Kumar Das, Soumalya Chakraborty, Chhandita Roy, Rajan Rajabalaya, Amal Widaad Mohaimin, Jasmina Khanam, Arunabha Nanda, Sheba R David. Ethosomes as novel vesicular carrier: An overview of the principle, preparation and its applications. Current Drug Delivery, 2018; 15 (6):795 - 817.
1. Rajan Rajabalaya, Sheba R David, Jestin Chellian, Gwee Xin Yun, Srikumar Chakravarthi. Transdermal delivery of oxybutynin chloride proniosomal gels for the treatment of overactive bladder. Drug Delivery. 2015, 3:1-10.
2. Kajal Ghosal, Aniruddha Chandra, Rajan Rajabalaya, Subrata Chakraborty, Arunabha Nanda. Mathematical modeling of drug release profiles for modified hydrophobic HPMC based hydrogels. Die Pharmazie, 67: 147- 155, 2012.
3. Rajan Rajabalaya, Sheba Rani Nakka David, Jasmina Khanam, Arunabha Nanada. Studies on the effect of plasticizer on in vitro release and ex vivo permeation from Eudragit E 100 based chlorpheniramine maleate matrix type transdermal delivery system. Journal of Excipients and Food Chemicals (SPARC European journal), 1 (2) 3-12, 2010.
4. Ihsan N Zulkipli, Sheba R David, Rajan Rajabalaya, Adi Idris. Medicinal plants: a potential source of compounds for targeting cell division. Drug Target Insights. 2015; 9: 9 -19.
5. Rajabalaya Rajan, Sheba Rani N.D, Kajal Ghosal, Sanjoy Kumar Das, Jasmina Khanam, Arunabha Nanada Design and in vitro evaluation of chlorpheniramine maleate from different eudragit based matrix patches: Effect of plasticizer and chemical enhancers. ARS Pharm, 50(4); 177-194, 2010.
Grant type: URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(317), Project Title: Development and evaluation of Exemestane liquid crystalline gel by topical delivery for the treatment of breast cancer, Investigators
Grant Type: URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(321), Project Title: Development and evaluation of self-adhesive matrix tape containing mupirocin for the prevention of exit site infections and peritonitis, Investigators
Grant Type: URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(322), Project Title: investigating the effects of Clinacanthus nutans extracts on cancer cell division, Investigators
Grant Type: URG, Grant Number: UBD/ORI/URC/RG(322)/U01, Project Title: Preferences, perspectives and burden of complementary and alternative medicine use and polypharmacy issues among community-dwelling older people living with chronic illness: a mixed methods study
Novel drug delivery formulations
Academic benefits - Book and journal publications