Dr Josage Sudharman Henry Quintus Perera, holds a B Sc (Special) Degree (1974), with First Class Honors, from the University of Sri Lanka at Peradeniya. He conducted his doctoral studies at the University of British Columbia, Canada and was awarded his PhD in 1980. In 2000 he underwent a period of study for senior teacher educators at the Institute of Education, University of London, United Kingdom. He is a Chartered Chemist, a Fellow of the Institute of Chemistry, Ceylon, a Commonwealth Academic Fellow (1990) and a member of the Royal Institution of Great Britain (1990-1991). He started his academic career at the University of Peradeniya in 1974 for as an assistant lecturer and rose to the position of full Professor in 2003. He joined the Universiti Brunei Darussalam in 2005 as Associate Professor of Chemistry Education.
21st Century skills development
Assessment of educational outcomes
1. Petra, S. F., Jaidin J. H., Perera, J. S. H. Q., & Linn, M. C. (2016). Supporting students to become autonomous learners: the role of web-based learning. International Journal of Information and Learning Technology. 33(4), 263-275
2. Leong, S. S. M., Perera, J. S. H. Q., & Shahrill, M. (2015). Identifying the gaps in students’ understanding of manometer reading. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(4 S1), 27-34
3. Mas Joliwane Pg Hj Tejudin & Perera, J. S. H. Q. (2009). Bruneian chemistry students understanding of physical processes in daily life and its implication for classroom practices: a case study. Bridging worlds: making connections in education. Gadong: ITC, Universiti Brunei Darussalam. 97-117.
4. Dhindsa, H. S., Perera, J. S. H. Q. & Zain Azman Hj Jumat (2008). Lower secondary students, science process skills: a case study. Science, Mathematics & Technical Education, 20, 32-37.
5. Perera, J. S. H. Q. & Kumarakulasingham, S. (2006). A reassessment of the blue-bottle experiment; an all-purpose experiment for teaching Chemical Kinetics. Ceylon J. of Science (Physical sciences), 11, 17-21.
Perera, J. S. H. Q., Couves, J. W., Sankar G. & Thomas, J. M. The catalytic activity of Ru and Ir supported Eu2O3 for the reaction, CO2 + CH4 = 2 H2 + 2 CO: a viable solar-thermal energy system. Catal. Lett., 11, 219-226. (1991)
Banna, M. S., Wallbank, B., Frost, D. C., McDowell, C. A. & Perera, J. S. H. Q. Free atom core binding energies from x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy of Na, K, Rb, Cs and Mg. J. Chem. Phys., 68, 5459-5466. (1978)
Bandara, W. M. A. T., Krishantha, D. M. M., Perera, J. S. H. Q., Rajapakse, R. M. G., Tennakoon, D. T. B. Preparation, Characterization and conducting properties of nanocomposites of successively intercalated polyaniline (PANI) in montmorillonite (MMT). J. of Composite Materials, 39 (9) 759-775. (2005).
Perera, J. S. H. Q., Frost, D. C. & McDowell, C. A. X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy of Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) acetylacetonate vapors. J. Chem. Phys., 72, 5151-5158. (1980)
Perera, J. S. H. Q. & Kumarakulasingham, S. A reassessment of the blue-bottle experiment; an all-purpose experiment for teaching Chemical Kinetics. Ceylon J. of Science (Physical sciences), 11, 17-21. (2006)
2013-2016 Investigation of the Teaching & Learning Practices which Lead to the Development of Competencies for Life & Work in the 21st Century, BRC8, 2013-2016, Member of the research team led by Professor Keith Wood (BD953,387)
2011-2012 Preparedness of Lower Secondary Science Teachers to meet the demands of SPN21, S & T Research Grant: Joint project, UBD/GSR/S&T/21, Co-researcher (later took over as Principal Researcher). Other members of the team: Professor Harkirat Dhindsa and Dr Hjh Romaizah Mohd Salleh, and Dr Desmond Brown (BD 153,048)
2008-2011, Study of ‘Science process skills of Bruneian Secondary Science Students”. UBD Research Grant: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(102). Joint Research Project Completed in 2August 2011, Co-researcher and later took over as Principal Researcher. Other members of the team: Professor Harkirat Dhindsa and Dr Hjh Romaizah Mohd Salleh (BD 50,000)
2011-2012 Factors contributing to the enrolment of students in the science streams in Brunei Schools (a project under the STS Cluster completed with seed money (BD10,000) jointly with Drs Desmond Brown and Hjh Romaizah Mohd Salleh)
Several consultancies completed. Appointed as an expert for 21st century learning design by the Ministry of Education, Negara Brunei Darussalam (2016- )