Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science
Dr. Pooja Shivanand is Assistant Professor and Programme Leader of the Environmental and Life Sciences Programme, Faculty of Science, Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD). She has an Engineering and Master’s degree in biotechnology and PhD in Chemical Engineering (Industrial Biotechnology) from India. She received DAAD Research fellowship in Germany. Before joining UBD she was Research Scientist in Biotech industry in India. In UBD, she is leading several projects as Principle Investigator, through local and international collaborations, in the field of Applied environmental microbiology including Microbial diversity in Brunei, Mangrove endophytes and their bioactive compounds, Disease prediction in food crops and Microbial induction of agarwood.
Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering - Industrial Biotechnology) - National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangalore, India
DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) scholar for short term Ph.D. studies - Institut fur Mikrobiologie & Biotechnologie der Universitat Bonn, Germany
M.S. Research (Industrial Biotechnology) - Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, India
B. E. (Biotechnology) - K.L.E. Technological University (erstwhile BVBCET), Hubli, India
Applied environmental microbiology & Bioremediation
Bioprocess, fermentation & enzyme technology
Green technology, environmental design & environmental management
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
22. Microbial Surfactants: Current Perspectives and Role in Bioremediation. Accepted July 2020. Rhizomicrobiome Dynamics in Bioremediation. CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group). [Pooja Shivanand1, Nur Bazilah Afifah Binti Matussin and Lee Hoon Lim].
8.8.Needs and Role of Sustainable Green Technologies for the Pollution Free Environment. June 2018. Handbook of Env. Eng., McGraw-Hill Education. [Pooja Shivanand, Krishnamoorthy Hegde and Vinayak Laxman Pachapur].
5.11. Current status of resources/energy recovery from wastewater and environmental management. June 2018. Handbook of Env. Eng., McGraw-Hill Education. [AD Araceli, VL Pachapur, B Alvarez, P Kuknur, JH Palacios, P Shivanand et al.]
Plenary Speaker: Topic - 'Marine Microorganisms and Their Bioremediation Potential.' [virtual] International conference on marine science & aquaculture (vICOMSA) 8-10 Mar 2022.
Second place in best oral presentation category on the theme Biofertilizers in 5th International Conference on Innovative Approaches in Applied Sciences and Technologies, organized by Scientific Educational Research Society (SERS) India with Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University India, 3-5 Dec 2021.
Oral presentation - Microbial Technologies for Pollution Free Environment. 2021 AUN-EEC Conference with the theme Creating an Ecosystem for Ecological Education and Culture held online on 15 September 2021
Facilitated the student-led Universiti Brunei Darussalam – Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Virtual Joint Programme 2021 on the topic ‘COVID-19 has changed the face of higher education across the globe.’ 1 Nov 2021
Oral presentation - Role of sustainable green technologies for pollution free environment. 6-11 Aug 2018. Commonwealth Workshop on Environmental Sustainability and Management, Universiti Brunei Darussalam [Pooja Shivanand].
Production of extracellular laccase from Pleurotus sajor-caju. 10-14 Oct 2017. Asian Mycological Congress (AMC) Hochiminh City, Vietnam pg. 60. [Abdul Zulâ€™Adly Bin Haji Mohaimin and Pooja Shivanand].
1. Member - '2.5D Technology-based Integrated Antenna Array mm-Wave System For Non-Invasive Food Safety Scanner (TIAS)' ASEAN-IVO Japan Grant (May 2021 - April 2023) USD 80,000.
1. Principle Investigator - FIC Block Grant: UBD/RSCH/1.4/FICBF(b)/2021/038 'Disease prediction in rice through metagenomics and computational modelling.' (01 January 2022 - 31 December 2023) BND 46,964.
2. Principle Investigator - FIC Block Grant: UBD/RSCH/1.4/FICBF(b)/2020/030 'Mangrove endophytes - study of plant host interactions, bioactive compounds and their applications.' (01 August 2020 - 31 July 2023) BND 77,160.
3a. Principle investigator - Herbal Research Grant: UBD/RSCH/URC/NIG/1.0/2019/003 'Microbial Induction of Agarwood' (02 February 2019 - 01 February 2022)
3b. Principle investigator - IBER Grant: UBD/RSCH/1.13/FICBF(b)/2019/012 'Microbial Induction of Agarwood' (02 February 2019 - 01 February 2022)
4. Principle Investigator - Competitive Research Grant: UBD/OAVCRI/CRGWG(010)170501 'Studying the microbial diversity in Brunei for applications in Bioremediation and Biotechnology' (May 2017 - October 2020) BND 108,600 - Completed.
5. Member - Tourism Research Grant UBD/RSCH/URC/NIG/4.0/2020/001. Establishment of the monitoring program for sustainable tourism and environmental conservation at Brunei river (01 Feb 2019 - 31 Jan 2022).
6. Member - Competitive Research Grant UBD/OAVCRI/CRGWG (013)/170601. The diversity of sea weeds in Brunei Darussalam and the search of useful substances towards commercialization (01 June 2017 - 31 May 2020).
2nd Herbal Research Webinar Series 2022:
Title: Agarwoord - Mystery, Make & Market; Speaker: Asst. Prof. Dr. Pooja Shivanand; Date: 16th February 2022
Link to webinar: https://youtu.be/wOXW8mIGAuY
Product/Project exhibitions by graduate students in Convocation festival:
PESTA CONVO AUGUST 2019
Production of Biosurfactant from newly isolated oil degrading microorganisms from Brunei Darussalam
-Nur Bazilah Afifah binti Matussin, Pooja Shivanand and Lee Hoon Lim
PESTA CONVO AUGUST 2018
Production of crude enzyme based cleaners using fruit waste for domestic use
-Yeo Yen Chin, Yabit Alas and Pooja Shivanand
Golden Aswad Aroma Enterprise, Brunei Darussalam
Tropical Biodiversity Centre (TBC)/ Biodiversity Research and Innovation Centre (BioRIC), Ministry of Primary Resources and Tourism (MPRT), Brunei
Department of Forestry, MPRT, Brunei
Agriculture and Agrifood Department, MPRT, Brunei
Department of Environment, Parks and Recreation, Ministry of Development, Brunei
Sewarage Services, Public Works Department, Ministry of Development, Brunei
Research Centre for Drug Discovery, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, Japan
Mushroom Research Centre, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia
School of Bio Sciences and Technology, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, India
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangalore, India
Biological Oceanography, CSIR - National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India
Research Scientist R&D (Aug 2013 - Jun 2014) Richcore Lifesciences Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India
-Designed enzyme based formulation products for sugar industry
-Worked on research and development of biological FMCG products
-Involved in project planning, task allocation and team management
-Collaborated with the Marketing team for product improvements
-Customer production plant visits for troubleshooting issues and providing solutions
Other contributions include Public Speaking, Effective Communication and Leadership training.
Represented Brunei and Won Evaluation Championship and speech contests
- District Championship of Toastmasters District 87 (Brunei, Indonesia and East Malaysia) speech Evaluation Contest (2016)
- Division Championship of Toastmasters Division K Table Topics Speech Contest (2017)
Served as President of the Brunei Speakers Club (2017-2018)
- facilitated the club achieving Presidents Distinguished Award for the year by scoring 10/10 points
Served as Secretary of the Brunei Speakers Club (2015-2016)
- procured the chartered Club Constitution