Senior Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science
1. Thin Film coatings for solar control applications
2. Dye-sensitized Solar Cells
4. 2-D Material
(a) The aim of this research project is to study the thermochromic materials, for glazing, whereby the change in optical property is revisable with temperature. This study mainly investigate the transition temperature of various transition metal oxides, dopants and deposition technologies in order to obtain the closest transition temperature to room temperature. This project will mainly be of experimental nature. (Available for 1 MSc student and 1 PhD student) (b) The optical and electrical switching properties of Vanadium dioxide (VO2) are of great interested by many researchers as VO2 behave like a semiconductor whereby the transition temperature can be tuned by doping with other elements. This study aims at investigate the switching properties of the doped vanadium dioxide. (Available for 1MSc/PhD student)
In this research project, the students will be studied the efficiency of the natural dyes using the density functional theory. The ground-state, electronic structures and absorption spectra of these dyes will be studied. (Available for 1 MSc student)
Sea water is the major source of water on Earth. However, high concentration of salinity in the sea water makes it unsuitable for domestic usages. We aim to design graphene nanopores membrane for filtration and desalination of sea water. This research consists of studying the pore sizes and pressure of the graphene sheets for the salt rejection ability by molecular dynamics. After optimised the salt rejection performance, the optimsed design of the graphene with nanopores will be fabricated. Then, characterizations will be performed.
1. Noormarih Muslim, Ying Woan Soon, Chee Ming Lim and Nyuk Yoong Voo, Properties of nickel films growth by radio frequency magnetron sputtering at elevated substrate temperatures, Thin Solid Fims, Vol. 612, pp. 82-86, 2016.
2. X. â€“T. Truong, V.N. Yoong and T.-D. Ngo, â€œApproaching humans in crowded and dynamic environmentsâ€, Proc. IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, AIM, 2016.
3.Y.-F. Chou Chau, C.M. Lim, V.N. Yoong, H.-P Chiang, â€œTailoring surface plasmon resonance and dipole cavity plasmon modes of scattering cross section spectra on the single solid-gold/gold-shell nanorodâ€, Journal of Applied Physics, 2016.
4. Noormariah Muslim, Y.W. Soon, C.M. Lim and N.Y. Voo, â€œInfluence of sputtering power on properties of titanium thin films deposited by RF magnetron sputteringâ€, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 16, 2015.
5. May Win Han, Piyasiri Ekanayake, C.M. Lim and N.Y. Voo, â€œUsing Tectonia Grandis (teak) to generate electricity from sunlightâ€, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 16, 2015.
1. N.Y. Voo, J.K. Sahu and M. Ibsen, â€œ345-mW 1836-nm single-frequency DFB fiber laser MOPAâ€ IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 17(12), pp. 2550-2552, 2005.
2. N.Y. Voo, P. Horak, M.Ibsen and W.H. Loh, â€œAnomalous linewidth behavior in short-cavity single-frequency fiber lasersâ€, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 17(3), pp. 546-548, 2005.
3, Yuan-Fong Chou Chau, CM Lim, VN Yoong, MNS Idris, â€œA simple structure of all circular-air-holes photonic crystal fiber for achieving high birefringence and low confinement loss,â€ Journal of Applied Physics 118 (24), 243102 (2015).
4. N. Muslim, Y.W. Soon, C.M. Lim and N.Y. Voo, â€œProperties of nickel films growth by radio frequency magnetron sputtering at elevated substrate temperaturesâ€, Thin Solid Films, 612, pp.82-86, 2016.
5. M.W. Han, P. Ekanayake, C.M. Lim and N.Y. Voo, â€œUsing tectonia grandis (teak) to generate electricity from sunlightâ€, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 10(16), pp. 7212-7216, 2015.
1."Developments of Thermochromic VO2-Based Thin Films For Architectural Glazing" presented in The 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing, Material and Metallurgical Engineering, Kuala Lumpur, March 17-19, 2018.
2. "Crystal Structure, Surface Topography, Surface Morphology and Optical Properties of DC Magnetron Sputtered VO2 thin Films Using VO2 Target" presented in The 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing, Material and Metallurgical Engineering, Kuala Lumpur, March 17-19, 2018.
3. "Effect of Coating Thickness (25-100 nm) on properties of TiO2 Thin Films Prepared by DC Magnetron Sputtering with TiO2 Target and Post-annealing Process" presented in 2017 3rd Advanced Research in Material Sciences, Manufacturing, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering Technology International Conference, Melaka, 7-9 November, 2017.
4. "Influence of Sputtering Power on Properties of Titanium Thin Films Deposited by RF Magnetron Sputtering" published in ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, Vol. 10, No. 16, September 2015.
5. "Using Tectonia Grandis (Teak) to Generate Electricity from Sunlight" published in ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, Vol. 10, No. 16, September 2015.