Professor Liyanage C De Silva received BSc Eng (Hons) degree from the University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka in 1985, MPhil degree from The Open University of Sri Lanka in 1989, MEng and PhD degrees from the University of Tokyo, Japan in 1992 and 1995 respectively. He was with the University of Tokyo, Japan, from 1989 to 1995. From April 1995 to March 1997 he pursued his postdoctoral research as a researcher at ATR (Advanced Telecommunication Research) Laboratories, Kyoto, Japan. In March 1997 he joined The National University of Singapore as a Lecturer where he was an Assistant Professor till June 2003. He was with the Massey University, New Zealand from 2003 to 2007. Currently he is the Professor of Engineering and the Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Integrated Technologies http://fit.ubd.edu.bn at the University of Brunei Darussalam.
Liyanage has published over 160 technical papers in these areas in international conferences, journals and Japanese national conventions and holds one Japanese national patent, which was successfully sold to Sony Corporation Japan for commercial utilization, and he holds 1 US and 1 Brunei patents. Liyanage’s works have been cited as one of the pioneering work in the bimodal (audio and video signal based) emotion recognition by many researchers. His papers so far have been cited by more than 2000 times (according to scholar.google.com) with an h-index of 20.
He received the Best Student Paper Award from SPIE (The International Society for Optical Engineering) for an outstanding paper contribution to the International Conference on Visual Communication and Image Processing (VCIP) in 1995. He also received National University of Singapore, the Department of ECE Teaching commendation award in 2001 and 2002 consecutively.
He is a senior member of IEEE USA and the interim chair of IEEE Brunei Darussalam Subsection. He was the General Chair of the 4th International Conference Computational Intelligence and Robotics and Autonomous Systems (CIRAS2007) held in New Zealand. http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=utF5BG0AAAAJ&hl=en
Signal Processing (Speech & Image)
Internet Of Things (IoT)
Power System Analysis
1. Sam-Quarcoo Dotse, Lalit Dagar, Mohammad Iskandar Petra, Liyanage C. De Silva, ""Evaluation of national emissions inventories of anthropogenic air pollutants for Brunei Darussalam"", in the Elseiver Journal of Atmospheric Environment, Vo1 133 (2016), PP 81-92.
2. Mohammed Iskandar Petra, Liyanage C De Silva, “Inverse Kinematic Solutions Using Artificial Neural Networks”, In the Journal of Applied Mechanics and Materials, Volume 534, pp 137-143, May 2014.
3. Tanuja Ganu, Deva P. Seetharam, Vijay Arya, Jagabondhu Hazra, Deeksha Sinha, Rajesh Kunnath, Liyanage C De Silva, Saiful A. Husain, and Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, nPlug: An Autonomous Peak Load Controller”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas on Communications, Vol. 31, No. 7, July 2013.
4. Iskandar Petra and Liyanage C De Silva, ""Implementation of Folding Architecture Neural Networks into an FPGA for an Optimized Inverse Kinematics Solution of a Six-Legged Robot"", published in the International Journal of Artificial Intelligence (IJAI) (ISSN 0974-0635 & ISSN-L 0974-0635) (2013)
1. Liyanage C De Silva, Chamin Morikawa, and Iskandar Petra, “State of the art of Smart Homes”. Elsevier Journal of Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.engappai.2012.05.002 Engineering ApplicationsofArtificialIntelligence, Vol 25, Issue 7, October 2012, pp 1313-1321
2. C R De Silva, S Ranganath, Liyanage C De Silva, “Cloud Basis Function Network: A Modified RBF Network Architecture for Holistic Facial Expression Recognition”, published in the Elsevier Pattern Recognition Journal, Volume 41 , Issue 4 , pp 1241-1253, April 2008. (Impact factor of this journal 2.153)
3. Prahlad Vadakkepat, Peter Lim, Liyanage C De Silva, Liu Jing, and Li Li Ling, “Multi-Modal Approach to Human Face Detection and Tracking”, published in the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol 55, No 3, pp. 1385-1393, March 2008. (Impact factor of this journal 4.678)
4. Tin Lay Nwe, Foo Say Wei, and Liyanage C De Silva, “Speech Emotion Recognition Using Hidden Markov Models”, in Elsevier Speech Communications Journal Vol. 41, Issue 4, pp. 603-623, November 2003. (Impact factor of this journal 1.178)
5. Liyanage C. De Silva, Ng Pei Chi, “Bimodal Emotion Recognition”, published in proceedings of the Int. Conference on Face and Gesture Recognition (FG2000), pp. 332-335, France, March 2000.
Grant type: , Grant Number: , Project Title: , Investigators (PI/Co-PI): , Funding Details: , Start Date: 28/03/2010, End Date: 28/03/2016
 Brunei Patent Granted in November 2015 - Liyanage C De Silva, Iskandar Petra, Auzi Ahadani, Wong Teck Sion, An Energy Usage Control System - i Home (intelligent Home), (Science and Technology grant). Application No: BN2012/0003, Reference No: PRO/FD/0003/2012.
 US Patent Granted in March 2015 - Jagabondhu Hazra, Balakrishnan Narayanaswamy, Devasenapathi Seetharamakrishnan Liyanage C De Silva, Improving power factor (in collaboration with IBM Research, Smart Energy Group). US Patent Application No: US13/433,653.
 Patent Rated File in India on 8th May 2013: Tanuja Ganu, Ashok P Prakash, Devasenapathi P Seetharamakrish, Vijay Arya, Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, Liyanage C De Silva, Saiful Azmi bin Hj Husain, System and Methodology for cutting electricity wastage for an appliance, Disclosure Number: IN820121217, Docket Number: IN920130086
 Patent Rated File in India on 25th May 2013: Swarnalatha Mylavarapu, Ashok P Prakash, Tanuja Garnu, Deva P Seetharam, Vijay Arva, Shivkumar Kalvanaraman, Saiful A Husain and Liyanage C De Silva, Grid Friendly Data Center, (in collaboration with IBM Research, Smart Energy Group) Disclosure Number: IN820120501.
 Patent rated Filled in Brunei on 03rd September 2012: Auzi Ahadani, Liyanage C De Silva, Iskandar Petra, and Wong Teck Sion, Self-Configurable Medicine Dispenser, Application No: BN2012/0026.
 US Patent Filled on 13th April 2012: Tanuja Ganu, Deva Seetharam, Shivkumar Kalyanaraman and Liyanage C De Silva, Plug Arrangement for Alleviating Peak Loads (in collaboration with IBM Research, Smart Energy Group). US Patent Application No: US13/445,645.
 Liyanage C De Silva, and Kwan Weng Wah, “Complex Number Calculator”, Provisional Patent granted during June 2000 to June 2001.
 Japanese National Patent Granted in 1998 – filled in 1995: Liyanage C De Silva, and Tsutomu Miyasato, “Hierarchical Expression Recognition”, Japanese National Patent – No 2967058, awarded in August 1998 (Bought over by SONY Japan, in 2002).