Distinguished Professor, Sultan Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Centre for Islamic Studies
Professor Jasser Auda is a world-recognized authority on Islamic law, in particular, the study of the higher purposes or maqasid of the Sharia. He has authored works that have been translated into twenty five languages; Al-Shatibi Chair of Maqasid Studies at the International Peace College South Africa, a Visiting Professor for the Study of Islam at Carleton University in Canada, Founding Director of the Maqasid Center in the Philosophy of Islamic Law in London, and a professor at the University of Waterloo, Alexandria University, Islamic University of Novi Pazar, Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, and the American University of Sharjah in the UAE. He lectured and trained on Islam, its law, spirituality and ethics in dozens of countries around the world. He is currently the President of Maqasid Institute, a network of think tanks with educational and research projects in a dozen countries.
PhD in the philosophy of Islamic law from University of Wales in the UK, and a PhD in systems analysis from University of Waterloo in Canada.
Objectives/Maqasid of the Islamic law, Quranic studies, Islamic legal thought, Fundamentals of Islamic law, Family law, Islamic political theory.
1. Maqāsid al-Sharī`ah as Philosophy of Islamic Law: A Systems Approach, International Institute of Islamic Thought, London-Washington, several reprints: 2008-14. Translated to Arabic, Bosnian, Italian, Turkish, Malaysian and Indonesian. Various publishers: 2010-15.
2. Maqāsid al-Sharī`ah: A Beginner’s Guide. London: International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT), many reprints, 2008-2016. Translated to: Arabic, Urdu, German, Indonesian, Malaysian, Russian, Azeri, Tamil, Bengali, Turkish, Japanese, Kurdish, Malayalam, French, Bosnian, Italian, Somali, Uzbek, Greek, Spanish, Korean, Thai, Somali, Amharic. Various publishers: 2009-16.
3. Al-Dawlah al-Madaniyya: Nahwa tajawuz al-istibdad wa tahqeeq maqasid al-shariah (Civil State: Towards overcoming authoritarianism & realizing maqasid al-shariah), Al-Shabakah Al-Arabiyah, Beirut, 2015. Translated to: English, Italian, Malayalam, Bengali, & Malaysian.
4. Al-Mar’ah fil-Masjid: Dawruha wa Makanatuha (Women in the Mosque: Their Role and Contribution), Dar Makased, Cairo 2015. Trans. English, Indonesian, Bengali, Malaysian, Tamil, various publishers.
5. Bayn al-shariah wal-siyasah: As’ilah li-marhalat ma ba’d al-thawraat (Between Shariah and Politics: Questions in the Post-Revolutions era). Beirut: Al-Shabakah Al-Arabiyyah, 2012, 2013. Translated to: Farsi, Malaysian, and Malayalam. Various publishers: 2013-2015.