Faizah Metali obtained her PhD in Plant and Soil Sciences from University of Aberdeen and MSc with Distinction in Plant Conservation (Seed Banking) from University of Sussex. Her PhD revolves on investigating the phylogenetic and ecological determinants affecting and controlling variation in foliar elemental concentrations, in particular foliar Al concentrations, among and within tropical plant species. The approach adopted in her study combines cross-species phylogenetic analyses of existing and newly-collected data, studies of plants and their soil chemical environments in Brunei Darussalam and experimental studies on the effect of Al application on growth responses and nutrient uptake in an Al-accumulating plant species. She is also keen in research related to a) soil and plant nutrients, b) germination and pollination studies, c) growth, survival and physiology of tropical seedlings, d) biodiversity of plants, e) revegetation of degraded tropical forests, f) plant conservation and propagation techniques.
BSc Education (Universiti Brunei Darussalam): 1998-2002
MSc in Plant Conservation (Seed Banking) (University of Sussex, Brighton, UK): 2003-2004
PhD in Plant and Soil Science (University of Aberdeen, Scotland): 2007-2010
Metal hyperaccumulation in plants
Soil and plant nutrients
Plant conservation & propagation techniques
Germination and pollination studies
Growth, survival and physiology of tropical seedlings
Revegetation of degraded tropical forests
1) Sochor M, Rahayu S, Faizah M & Dančák M. 2017. Thismia inconspicua (Thismiaceae), a new mycoheterotrophic species from Borneo. Phytotaxa , 234(2): 172-178.
2) Mohammad Nasrul D, Aida MB, Faizah M, Norhayati A & Hussein T. 2017. Phytochemicals and antimicrobial activities of Melastoma malabathricum and Melastoma beccarianum leaf crude extracts. Research Journal of Phytochemistry, 11: 35-41. doi: 10.3923/rjphyto.2016
3) Shamira M, Nuraizat A., Wardah HT, Ak Muhammaddul Qawiy PY, Hazimah HMD, Hussein T, Rahayu SS & Faizah M. 2017. Propagation of Dillenia suffruticosa (Griff.) Martelli stem cuttings using plant hormones: a promising approach to supply plantlets to revegetate degraded tropical heath forests in Brunei Darussalam. Research Journal of Botany, 12(1): 32-37. doi: 10.3923/rjb.2017.32.37
4) Nur Diyana ZK, Hussein T & Faizah M. 2016 Effects of commercial plant hormones on the survival, rooting and growth of stem cuttings of an herbal tea plant, Aidia racemosa. Research Journal of Medicinal Plants, 10: 414-419.
5) Nurul Maz Juhairah M & Faizah M. 2016. Germination and growth of selected tropical pioneers in Brunei Darussalam: The effects of temperature and seed size. Research Journal of Seed Science, 9(2-3): 48-53.
6) Quang-Vuong L, Tennakoon K, Faizah M, Lim L & Bolin J. 2016. Ecophysiological responses of mistletoe Dendrophtoe curvata (Blume) Miquel Loranthaceae to varying environmental parameters depend on host associations. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 28(1): 59-67.
7) Quang-Vuong L, Tennakoon K, Faizah M, Lim L & Bolin J. 2016. Host specific variation in photosynthesis of an obligate xylem-tapping mistletoe Dendrophtoe curvata (Blume) Miquel in Bornean heath forest. Nordic Journal of Botany, 34: 235-243. doi 10.1111/njb.00628
1. Faizah M, Kamariah AS, Tennakoon K & Burslem DFRP. 2015. Controls on foliar nutrient and Al concentrations in a tropical tree flora: phylogeny, soil chemistry and interactions among elements. New Phytologist, 205(1): 280-292. doi: 10.1111/nph.12987
2. Faizah M, Kamariah AS & Burslem DFRP. 2012. Evidence of foliar aluminium accumulation in local, regional and global datasets of wild plants. New Phytologist, 193(3): 637-649. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03965.x
3. Dančák M, Hroneš M, Sochor M, Kobrlová L, Hédl R, Hrázský Z, Vildomcová A, Sukri RS & Faizah M. 2013. A new species of Thismia (Thismiaceae) from Brunei Darussalam, Borneo. Phytotaxa, 125(1): 33-39.
4. Quang-Vuong L, Tennakoon K, Faizah M, Lim L & Bolin J. 2016. Host specific variation in photosynthesis of an obligate xylem-tapping mistletoe Dendrophtoe curvata (Blume) Miquel in Bornean heath forest. Nordic Journal of Botany. doi 10.1111/njb.00628
5. Hazimah D, Faizah M & Rahayu S. 2015. Tree diversity and community composition of the Tutong White Sands, Brunei Darussalam – a rare tropical heath forest ecosystem. International Journal of Ecology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/807876
11. Competitive Research Grant (CRG), Grant Number: UBD/OVACRI/CRGWG(008)/170401, Project Title: Plant conservation in a human-influenced landscape of Brunei Darussalam,
Role: Investigator with Dr Daniele Cicuzza as Principal Investigator (ongoing)
10. Competitive Research Grant (CRG), Grant Number: UBD/OVACRI/CRGWG(010)/170501, Project Title: Studying the microbial diversity in Brunei for applications in bioremediation and biotechnology, Role: Investigator with Dr Pooja Shivanand as Principal Investigator (ongoing)
9. Competitive Research Grant (CRG), Grant Number: UBD/OVACRI/CRGWG(013)/170601), Project Title: The diversity of seaweeds in Brunei Darussalam and the search of useful substances towards commercialization, Role: Investigator with Dr Yasuaki Tanaka as Principal Investigator (ongoing)
8. Competitive Research Grant (CRG), Grant Number: UBD/OVACRI/CRGWG(003)/161101), Project Title: Life history, migration and human risk assessment in commercial fishes in Brunei and its adjacent waters to understand the diversity of habitat use and the sustainable use of fishery resources, Role: Investigator with Prof Takaomi Arai as Principal Investigator (ongoing)
7. BRC, Grant Number: UBD/AVC-RI/1.21.2/BRC, Project Title: A multifaceted investigation of the spread of exotic Acacia species into native habitats within Brunei Darussalam: Understanding the causes of, and management strategies for, these invasive species, Role: Investigator with Dr Rahayu Sukri as Principal Investigator (ongoing)
6. UBD-CTFS 25-ha Forest Dynamics at the KBFSC, Project Title: Monitoring climate change impacts on Brunei’s unique rain forests, Role: PI (ongoing)
5. URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(292), Project Title: Controls of foliar nutrient and aluminium concentrations in a tropical tree flora: phylogeny, soil chemistry and interaction among elements, Role: PI (Ongoing)
4. URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(248), Project Title: A preliminary study of the allelopathic potential of Acacia spp. on the germination and seedling growth of selected native plant species in Brunei Darussalam, Role: PI (completed)
3. URG, Grant Number: UBD/PNC2/2/RG/1(267), Project Title: Influence of Invasion by exotic plants on soil properties across vegetation zones in the Galapagos Islands, Role: PI (completed)
2. International grant, Grant Number: AKECU (ASEAN-KOREA Environmental Cooperation Unit), Project Title: : A preliminary investigation on the use of native tree species to rehabilitate degraded heath (kerangas and kerapah) and peat swamp forests in Brunei Darussalam, Role: Co-PI (completed)
1. International grant, Grant Number: AKECU (ASEAN-KOREA Environmental Cooperation Unit), Project Title: Assessment of potential native tree and shrub species to rehabilitate degraded heath (Kerangas and Kerapah) forests and Peat Swamp Forests in Brunei Darussalam, Role: Co-PI (completed)
a) Become a member of the Monitoring Committee evaluating progression of R&D projects under Brunei Research Incentive Scheme Grant (“BRISc”) funded by Brunei Economic Development Board (BEDB) (Oct 2015-2016)
a) Collaboration with researchers from Malaysia, US, UK, Czech, Australia, China, Korea and Japan.
b) Collaboration with ASEAN-KOREA Environmental Cooperation Project (AKECOP), Forestry Department, BLNG and Wetland International (WI) for the rehabilitation of heath and peat swamp forests in Brunei Darussalam.
a) Have conducted fieldwork in various forests in Brunei Darussalam.
b) Have attended research meeting and conducted research project in the Galapagos Islands (San Cristobal and Isabela Islands), Ecuador.
c) Have participated in a residential course in the Millennium Seed Bank, the Kew Gardens, UK.
d) Have participated in a lab training in plant and soil analysis in Soil and Water Analysis Lab, National Instrumentation Center for Environmental Management (NICEM) at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) in Seoul National University.
Biodiversity research, Revegetation of degraded tropical forests, Impacts of invasive plants on biodiversity and native plants, Propagation and conservation of plants
Total Publications: 14
Michal Sochor, Rahayu Sukmaria Sukri, Faizah Metali and Martin Dančák
Phytotaxa, ISSN: 11793155, eISSN: 11793163, Volume: 295, Pages: 263-270, Published: 10 February 2017
Awang Kamis, Taha and Metali
Research Journal of Medicinal Plant, ISSN: 18193455, eISSN: 21517924, Issue: 6-7, Pages: 414-419, Published: 15 September 2016
Manjul and Metali
Research Journal of Seed Science, ISSN: 18193552, eISSN: 21516146, Pages: 48-53, Published: 15 June 2016
Quang-Vuong Le, Kushan U. Tennakoon, Faizah Metali, Linda B. L. Lim and Jay F. Bolin
Nordic Journal of Botany, ISSN: 0107055X, eISSN: 17561051, Pages: 235-243, Published: 1 April 2016
Journal of Tropical Forest Science, ISSN: 01281283, Pages: 59-67, Published: 2016
Quang-Vuong Le, Kushan U. Tennakoon, Faizah Metali, Linda B.L. Lim and Jay F. Bolin
Weed Biology and Management, ISSN: 14446162, eISSN: 14456664, Pages: 138-146, Published: 1 December 2015
Malaysian Journal of Soil Science, ISSN: 13947990, Pages: 45-58, Published: 2015
Abidin and Metali
Research Journal of Botany, ISSN: 18164919, eISSN: 21520461, Pages: 73-87, Published: 25 September 2015
Faizah Metali, Kamariah Abu Salim, Kushan Tennakoon and David F. R. P. Burslem
New Phytologist, ISSN: 0028646X, eISSN: 14698137, Volume: 205, Pages: 280-292, Published: 1 January 2015
Hazimah Din, Faizah Metali and Rahayu Sukmaria Sukri
International Journal of Ecology, ISSN: 16879708, eISSN: 16879716, Volume: 2015, Published: 2015
Hindawi Publishing Corporation 410 Park Avenue, 15th Floor, 287 pmb New York NY 10022
Michal Hroneš, Lucie Kobrlová, Vojtěch Taraška, Ondřej Popelka, Radim Hédl, Rahayu Sukmaria Sukri, Faizah Metali and Martin Dančák
Phytotaxa, ISSN: 11793155, eISSN: 11793163, Volume: 234, Pages: 172-178, Published: 13 November 2015
Ismail and Metali
Journal of Agronomy, ISSN: 18125379, eISSN: 18125417, Pages: 158-168, Published: 2014
Asian Network for Scientific Information 308-Lasani Town, Sargodha Road Faisalabad
Martin Dančák, Michal Hroneš, Michal Sochor, Lucie Kobrlová, Radim Hédl, Záboj Hrázský, Anna Vildomcová, Rahayu Sukmaria Sukri and Faizah Metali
Phytotaxa, ISSN: 11793155, eISSN: 11793163, Volume: 125, Pages: 33-39, Published: 2013
Faizah Metali, Kamariah A. Salim and David F.R.P. Burslem
New Phytologist, ISSN: 0028646X, eISSN: 14698137, Volume: 193, Pages: 637-649, Published: February 2012