Associate Professor, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and Associate Professor, Institute of Policy Studies
2017- Associate Professor in Environmental Studies, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences/Institute of Policy Studies, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Negara Brunei Darussalam
2012- 2017 Lecturer and Cardiff Fellow, School of Geography and Planning, Cardiff University, UK
2011-2012 Australian Research Council Super Science Research Fellow, Global Change Institute, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
2010-2011 Post Doctoral Research Assistant, Centre for Adaptive Science and Sustainability/Logistics Institute, University of Hull, UK
2005-2010 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Geography, University of Hull, UK
2014 Postgraduate Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (Cardiff University, UK)
2010 PhD in Human Geography: ‘Sustainability, the voluntary sector and local governance in East Yorkshire.'
2010 Postgraduate Diploma in Research Skills (University of Hull, UK)
2004 MSc Hons (Environmental Management) Distinction and Academy Award (University of Sunderland, UK)
2002 BSc Hons (Environmental Earth Science) High Second Class (Second Division) (University of East Anglia, UK)
My research interests are trans-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary, spanning geography, environmental science and cognate disciplines. They include the governance of sustainable development and climate change, earth processes, climate change mitigation, adaptation, resilience and risk, environmental (geo)politics, the political economy of the state, how environmental knowledge is used to inform policy and the scale debate in human geography. More specifically, my current interests examine how power and risk are configured and negotiated across territorial space through environmental/climate governance.
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
Howarth, Morse-Jones, Brooks and Kythreotis
Environmental Science and Policy, ISSN: 14629011, eISSN: 18736416, Pages: 412-420, Published: November 2018
The Routledge Handbook on Spaces of Urban Politics, Pages: 589-600, Published: 1 January 2018
Taylor and Francis
Andrew P. Kythreotis and Gillian I. Bristow
Regional Studies, ISSN: 00343404, eISSN: 13600591, Pages: 1530-1541, Published: 3 October 2017
Natalia S. Lawrence, Jemma C. Chambers, Sinead M. Morrison, Sven Bestmann, Gerard O'Grady, Christopher D. Chambers and Andrew P. Kythreotis
Evidence and Policy, ISSN: 17442648, eISSN: 17442656, Pages: 275-316, Published: May 2017
Policy PressQueens RoadBristolBS8 1QU
Theresa G. Mercer, Andrew P. Kythreotis, Zoe P. Robinson, Terje Stolte, Sharon M. George and Stephanie K. Haywood
International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, ISSN: 14676370, Pages: 359-384, Published: 2017
Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
the Slave River and Delta Partnership, Timothy D. Jardine, Lori Bradford, Lalita Bharadwaj, Andrew P. Kythreotis, Jennifer Fresque-Baxter, Erin Kelly, Gila Somers, Lorne E. Doig, Paul D. Jones and Karl-Erich Lindenschmidt
Environment International, ISSN: 01604120, eISSN: 18736750, Volume: 102, Pages: 125-137, Published: 2017
Nature Climate Change, ISSN: 1758678X, eISSN: 17586798, Pages: 806-807, Published: 21 August 2015
Nature Publishing Group
Mantyka-Pringle, Westman, Kythreotis and Schindler
Nature Climate Change, ISSN: 1758678X, eISSN: 17586798, Pages: 798-801, Published: 21 August 2015
Nature Publishing Group
Justine Bell, Megan I. Saunders, Javier X. Leon, Morena Mills, Andrew Kythreotis, Stuart Phinn, Peter J. Mumby, Catherine E. Lovelock, Ove Hoegh-Guldberg and Morrison
Environmental Science and Policy, ISSN: 14629011, eISSN: 18736416, Pages: 247-257, Published: December 01, 2014
Chrystal Mantyka-Pringle and Andrew P. Kythreotis
Nature, ISSN: 00280836, eISSN: 14764687, Volume: 514, Issue: 7524, Pages: 567, Published: 30 October 2014
Nature Publishing Group
Kythreotis, Mercer and Frostick
Environmental Science and Technology, ISSN: 0013936X, eISSN: 15205851, Pages: 9560-9566, Published: 2 September 2013
Andrew P. Kythreotis and Andrew E.G. Jonas
Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, ISSN: 02637758, eISSN: 14723433, Pages: 381-399, Published: 2012
Andrew Paul Kythreotis
Progress in Human Geography, ISSN: 03091325, Pages: 457-474, Published: August 2012
Andrew P. Kythreotis
Environmental Leadership: A Reference Handbook, Pages: 282-294, Published: 1 January 2012
SAGE Publications Inc.
Sustainable Development, ISSN: 09680802, eISSN: 10991719, Pages: 187-193, Published: July 2010
1. Kythreotis, AP (2018). Reimagining the urban as dystopic resilient spaces: scalar materialities in climate knowledge, planning and politics. In: Ward, K, Jonas, AEG, Miller, B and Wilson, D (eds.) The Routledge Handbook on Spaces of Urban Politics. Routledge, London.
2. Mantyka-Pringle, CS, Jardine, TD, Bradford, L, Bharadwaj, L, Kythreotis, AP, Fresque-Baxter, J, Kelly, E, Somers, G, Lindenschmidt, K, Doig, LE, Jones, P & Slave River and Delta Partnership (2017) Transforming adaptive co-management: Bridging science and traditional knowledge to assess cumulative impacts of stressors on aquatic ecosystems. Environment International, 102: 125-137.
3. Lawrence, N, Chambers, JC, Morrison, SM, Bestmann, S, O’Grady, G, Chambers, CD & Kythreotis, AP (2017) The Evidence Information Service: A new platform for supporting evidence-based policymaking? Evidence & Policy, 13(2): 275-316.
4. Mercer, TG, Kythreotis, AP, Robinson, Z, Stolte, T, George, S & Haywood, SK (2017) The Use of Educational Game Design and Play in Higher Education to Influence Sustainability Behaviour. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 18 (3): 359-384.
5. Kythreotis, AP & Bristow, GI (2017) The ‘resilience trap’: exploring the practical utility of resilience for climate change adaptation in UK city-regions. Regional Studies, 51 (10): 1530-1541.
1. Kythreotis, AP (2012) Progress in global climate change politics? Reasserting national state territoriality in a ‘post-political’ world. Progress in Human Geography, 36 (4), 457-474.
2. Kythreotis, AP & Jonas, AEJ (2012) “Scaling sustainability?” How voluntary groups negotiate spaces of sustainability governance in the United Kingdom. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 30 (3), 381-399.
3. Kythreotis, AP (2015) Carbon Pledges: Alliance and Ambitions. Nature Climate Change, 5 (9): 806-807.
4. Mantyka-Pringle, CS, Westman, C, Kythreotis, AP & Schindler, DW (2015) Honouring indigenous treaty rights for climate justice. Nature Climate Change, 5 (9): 798-801.
5. Mantyka-Pringle, C & Kythreotis, AP (2014) Climate policy: Translating public action into policy. Nature, 514 (7524), 567.