Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Science
After obtaining B.Sc. (H) and M.Sc. degrees from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh and a Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry) from The University of N.S.W. Australia, I accepted a Senior Lecturer position at Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka. I became an Associate Professor in 1985 and a Professor in 1991. I took lien from Jahangirnagar University and worked as a Visiting Fellow for a year and half in the Department of Organic Chemistry at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. In 1995, I moved to the United States of America, briefly worked as a Research Specialist (Senior postdoctoral position) in the Department of Organic Chemistry at the South Carolina State University before joining Universiti Brunei Darussalam in November, 1996 where I am still working.
My research focuss is on â€œDesign, synthesis, and structural characterization by spectroscopic, single crystal X-ray diffraction and evaluation of antifungal/antibacterial properties of novel potentially bioactive organic chelating agents, popularly known as Schiff bases, containing sulfur and nitrogen donor atoms.
Design, synthesis, and structural characterization by spectroscopic, single crystal X-ray diffraction and evaluation of antifungal/antibacterial properties of novel potentially bioactive organic chelating agents containing sulfur and nitrogen donor atoms
Google Scholar Citations
Google Scholar h-index
Google Scholar i10-index
11. Publications (One book chapter as co-author and 5 recent publications)
1. Jean Liew Zhi Ying, Lee Hoon Lima, Aminul Huq Mirza, Norhayati Ahmad, Ibrahim Abd Rahman and Minhaz Uddin Ahmed,
Bionanotechnology-Based Colorimetric Sensors for Food Analysis (Published by the Royal Society of Chemistry, www.rsc.org, 2016).
Print ISBN: 978-1-78262-361-8, DOI:10.1039/9781782623908-00104
1.Md. Islam, Md. Razzak, Mohammad Karim, Aminul H. Mirza, H-bond plays key role in the synthesis of stable hemiaminals, Tetrahedron Letters, (2017), doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2017.01.086, Reference: TETL 48589
2. Md. Shafiqul Islam, Mohammad R. Karim, William Boadi, Seyi Falekun, Aminul H. Mirza, Biological Evaluation of New Schiff Bases: Synthesized from 4-Amino-3,5-dimethyl-1,2,4-triazole, Phenanthroline and Bipyridine Dicarboxaldehydes, Advances in Biological Chemistry, 2016, 6, 180-192.
3. M. H. S. A. Hamid, ANAH Said, A. H. Mirza, M. R. Karim, M. Arifuzzaman, Synthesis, structures and spectroscopic properties of some tin (IV) complexes of the 2-acetylpyrazine Schiff bases of S-methyl-and S-benzyldithiocarbazates, Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2016, 453, 742-750
4. A. Lim, N. Kumara, AL Tan, A.H. Mirza, RLN Chandrakanthi, , M. Petra; Potential natural sensitizers extracted from the skin of Canarium odontophylum fruits for sye-sensitized solar cells; Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular spectroscopy, 2015, 138, 596-602
5. MR Hoq, MR Karim, M. arifuzzaman, A.H. Mirza; Synthesis and characterization of 2,21-Bipyridyl-5,5-dialdehydeSchiff Bases from O,S, N and F-containing Amines.
International Journal of Organic Chemistry; 2015, 5, (01) 29
1. Heterocyclic dithiocarbazate iron chelators: Fe coordination chemistry and biological activity, MT Basha, JD Chartres, N Pantarat, MA Ali, AH Mirza, DS Kalinowski, ... Dalton Transactions 41 (21), 6536-6548, 2012 (Citation: 12)
2. The Trivalent Copper Complex of a Conjugated Bis-dithiocarbazate Schiff Base: Stabilization of Cu in Three Different Oxidation States M Akbar Ali, PV Bernhardt, MAH Brax, J England, AJ Farlow, GR Hanson, ...Inorganic chemistry 52 (3), 1650-1657, 2013 (Citation: 12)
3. Biological activity of palladium (II) and platinum (II) complexes of the acetone Schiff bases of S-methyl-and S-benzyldithiocarbazate and the X-ray crystal structure of the [Pd (asme) 2](asme= anionic form of the acetone Schiff base of S-methyldithiocarbazate) complex MA Ali, AH Mirza, RJ Butcher, MTH Tarafder, TB Keat, AM Ali Journal of inorganic biochemistry 92 (3), 141-148, 2002 (Citations: 154)
4. Synthetic, spectroscopic, biological and X-ray crystallographic structural studies on a novel pyridine-nitrogen-bridged dimeric nickel (II) complex of a pentadentate N 3 S 2 ligand MA Ali, AH Mirza, RJ Butcher, MTH Tarafder, MA Ali Inorganica Chimica Acta 320 (1), 1-6, 2001 (Citation: 86)
5. Synthesis, characterization, antifungal properties and X-ray crystal structures of five-and six-coordinate copper (II) complexes of the 6-methyl-2-formylpyridine 4 N-dimethylthiosemicarbazone MA Ali, AH Mirza, A Monsur, S Hossain, M Nazimuddin Polyhedron 20 (9), 1045-1052, 2001 (Citation: 60)
Grant type: BRC, Grant Number: BRC-10 , Project Title: A versatile signal amplification strategy for porcine detection using flexible substrates (BRC-10), Investigators (PI/Co-PI): Co-PI, Funding Details: , Start Date: 24/12/2014, End Date: 23/12/2017
Successfully synthesized a good number of novel Schiff bases which are now being characterized. After characterization, the Schiff bases will be sent off for evaluation of bioactivity.
Work in collaboration with Dr. Malai Haniti S.A. Hamid, Dr. Tan Ai Ling, A. Prof. Dr. Jose Santos, and Dr. Minhaz Ahmed (Chem. Sciences) and overseas collaborators are Prof. Paul Bernhard (University of Queensland, Australia), Prof. Mohammad M. Karim (TN State University, USA) and Prof. David Young (Monash University, Malaysia).
Summary of publications and citations indices
Scopus (all-time data) Google Scholar (all-time data)
Total number of publications 47 77
Total number of citations 869 1363
H-index 18 23